Michael has coached and continues to coach principals on an individual basis as part of Career Decisions/CDT team who have successfully coached over 400 senior leaders. These principals include DEIS schools, special needs schools, newly appointed principals, primary and second level school leaders.
Coaching with Michael reflects on a broad range of issues including systemic leadership, change management, conflict resolution, delegation, distributed leadership, stakeholder management, employee relations, performance management and maximising personal effectiveness in complex work environments. Michael has completed over 700 hours in executive and career coaching. Principals reported that coaching with Michael achieved the following outcomes:
- Resolution of individual conflicts and employee relations issues within the limitations and constraints of complex school systems
- A clearer appreciation of strengths as well as areas to improve upon
- Increased courage and confidence to confront difficult situations that had developed – and sometimes lingered – over time
- Development of awareness on how personal behaviour patterns play out on a day-to-day basis and the application of this awareness to increase effectiveness
- Ability to understand the role of the Principal and their pivotal role in mapping and managing a broad range of stakeholders
- The ability to use values and standards as a driving force in managing the school ecosystem
- Increased focus and practice in developing a distributed leadership model
Working in the field for over 10 years, Michael works with clients across the private and public sectors and has delivered coaching to senior executives in a range of disciplines including organisation development and change management. Clients include The Department of Education & Skills, Irish Management Institute, Transdev, Pobal, Stratis Consulting, Eirgrid, Netshare Ireland, International Development Ireland, etc.