Experience in one to one coaching
As part of the Career Decisions/CDT team who have successfully coached over 400 School Principals, Barney brings over 35 years’ experience in leadership, coaching and management, enabling people to harness their unique strengths to improve their professional and personal performance and impact. He has experience, as a fulltime executive coach, coaching school principals and others in senior management positions in a variety of sectors. He has coached principals in primary and post primary schools, DEIS schools and urban and rural schools. Barney also has experience working with school principals, teachers, volunteers and young people as CEO of Gaisce – The President’s Award
He has worked as Chairman of the Board of Management of a Voluntary Secondary School and as a Board member of an Education and Training Board (ETB) School leading and managing the amalgamation of a Voluntary and an ETB School into a community college.
Specialist expertise includes:
- Goal setting and managing time to best effect
- Working with your management team and effective delegation
- Strategies for achieving work life balance
- Working effectively with difficult people and situations
- More effective/harmonious staff relationships
- Raising individual awareness and developing reflective abilities
- Planning and identifying your high pay off activities
- How to say no while keep channels of communication open and effective
- Greater focus on leadership and enabling change through people
While his coaching style is person-centred and very supportive, it is challenging in that the principal is facilitated to achieve clarity on what they are trying to achieve and to name accurately what is happening in their personal and professional lives.